These past months have been critical for decision makers; they all had to rethink strategies to ensure their market survival, and one of the most important challenges was to move towards digital transformation despite the limitations that the economic crisis caused because of the pandemic.
It is at this point when Low Code technology acquires an unprecedented relevance. It consists of an alternative to implement new technologies without the need to involve coding processes or expert developers. On the contrary, companies can use their IT staff, with a basic notion of coding. They won't find any impediment using these interfaces to create apps or tailor-made software for businesses or users.
According to analyst Gartner, Low Code technology will be responsible for more than 65% of the applications used by companies by 2024.
It is worth mentioning the no-code solutions, designed for people with no experience of any type in programming language, which makes it difficult for the technology to function properly.
Low Code technology is already popular and continues pushing forward
Many companies use this technology as their main support to ensure their productivity and move towards digitization. Here are the most popular platforms:
● Microsoft Power Applications. Makes possible creating applications quickly through templates.
● Salesforce Lightning. Allows developing highly customizable applications and software.
● Webflow. Designed to create websites.
● Appian. Allows developing applications 20 times faster and offers automation through BPM (Business Process Management) and RPA (Robotic Process Automation).
The good side
As you can see, Low Code technology has a wide range of possibilities thanks to its advantages such as:
● Predefined users / models. No more creating from scratch, hello to templates.
● User friendly. By avoiding using coding, the complexity is off the map.
● Quick results. The carrying speed is its main feature.
● Reduced cost. No more developers, training or new equipment.
● Ideal for validating previous versions.
The not so good side
These are the disadvantages of Low Code technology:
● Limited development scalability as a trade-off.
● Cannot do detailed things. Limited options.
● The application will grow to a point where low code is no longer useful, causing a migration to a traditional technology.
When talking about this technology we are addressing a very specific audience. In this sense, it is recommended to use it for small and medium businesses, where technology acquisition is limited. It is also an alternative for managers willing to create personal productivity tools. Low Code is also an alternative to Proof of (business) concept and analyzing collected data for a launch. Lastly, it is recommended for risky businesses, although startups can also benefit from it.
Low Code stops being an alternative when the functionalities growth rate exceeds the possible development capacity on the platform, and when user experience requirements become (difficult to implement) challenges on the platform.
Are you ready to start getting the most out of technology? At Icalia Labs we can help you, we have vast experience developing multi platform web apps, web, websites, progressive and mobile app experiences with native and / or hybrid technologies. Let us boost your company and take it to the next level.